When and How to Take ItSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Zyvox include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule, liquid suspension, and IV injection forms.
- Zyvox is normally taken twice a day, about 12 hours apart.
- When using the oral liquid suspension, gently turn the bottle upside down three to five times to mix the medicine. Do not shake the bottle.
- Measure the oral liquid suspension with an oral syringe, accurately marked measuring spoon, or a medicine cup to make sure you get the correct amount. Regular household spoons are not accurate enough to measure medications. Your pharmacist can give you an appropriate measuring device if you need one.
- The oral liquid can be kept for up to 21 days. After 21 days, any unused medication should be thrown out.
- Zyvox can be taken with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss a dose or stop taking Zyvox earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, even if you are feeling better. Doing so may lead to bacterial resistance. Also, although you will start to feel better before you are finished with the medication, your infection may not be completely gone.
Dosing InformationThe dose of Zyvox your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of your infection
- Your age
- Your weight (for children).
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Zyvox Dosage for more information.)