Taking too much Zyvox (linezolid) could lead to serious problems; the exact symptoms will depend on how much was taken and other factors. If you overdose on this medication, seek immediate medical attention. Some of the available treatment options include dialysis, medications that absorb Zyvox in the digestive tract, and supportive care (treating symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
Can You Take Too Much Zyvox?
Zyvox® (linezolid) is a prescription antibiotic used to treat a variety of serious infections. It is probably possible to overdose on Zyvox, although it is not clear exactly what to expect from an overdose.
The specific effects would likely vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Zyvox dosage, the particular form of the medication taken, and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have intentionally or accidentally taken too much Zyvox.
Effects of an OverdoseIn animal studies, Zyvox overdoses caused decreased activity and loss of coordination in rats. In dogs, tremors and vomiting were reported. There is very limited information on what to expect from an overdose in humans. However, Zyvox can cause serious side effects, and some of these may be expected with an overdose.
In addition, people who take Zyvox for a long time seem to be at a higher risk for certain serious reactions, such as peripheral neuropathy and vision problems.
Treatment for a Zyvox Overdose
If the overdose was taken by mouth, a healthcare provider may administer certain medications to absorb the Zyvox in the digestive tract. Kidney dialysis may be used to help remove it from the body.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the Zyvox overdose. For example, if seizures occur, they might be treated with diazepam (Valium®) or lorazepam (Ativan®).