Typically, an adult will take 600 mg of Zyvox every 12 hours, for anywhere from 10 to 28 days. However, the dosage is not the same for every situation. For example, uncomplicated skin infections are often treated with a lower amount, and a child's dose will be based on weight. To reduce the risk of bacterial resistance, take your Zyvox dosage exactly as prescribed.
An Introduction to Dosing With ZyvoxThe dose of Zyvox® (linezolid) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The type and severity of your infection
- Your age
- Your weight (for children).
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Zyvox Dosing GuidelinesThe usual Zyvox dosage for treatment in adults is 600 mg every 12 hours. However, the dose for treating uncomplicated skin or soft tissue infections in adults is 400 mg every 12 hours. The duration of treatment ranges from 10 to 28 days, depending on the type and severity of the particular infection. Zyvox is sometimes combined with other antibiotics to treat certain infections.
The dose of Zyvox in children from birth to 11 years of age is calculated based on the child's weight. Children 12 years old and older normally get the adult dose. However, the normal amount for treatment of uncomplicated skin and soft tissue infections in children 12 years of age and older is 600 mg every 12 hours.
Dosing for Zyvox intravenous (IV) injectable formula is the same as the oral (tablet or liquid suspension) form.
General Information on Taking ZyvoxSome general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Zyvox include the following:
- This medication comes in capsule, oral liquid suspension, and intravenous (IV) injectable forms.
- Zyvox is normally taken twice a day, about 12 hours apart.
- When using the oral liquid suspension, gently turn the bottle upside down three to five times to mix the medicine. Do not shake the bottle.
- Measure the oral liquid suspension with an oral syringe, accurately marked measuring spoon, or a medicine cup to make sure you get the correct dose. Regular household spoons are not accurate enough to measure medications. Your pharmacist can give you an appropriate measuring device if you need one.
- The oral liquid can be kept for up to 21 days. After 21 days, any unused medication should be thrown out.
- You can take your Zyvox dosage with or without food.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Do not miss a dose or stop taking Zyvox earlier than your healthcare provider recommends, even if you are feeling better. Doing so may lead to bacterial resistance. Also, although you will start to feel better before you are finished with the medication, your infection may not be completely gone.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Zyvox, please talk with your healthcare provider.