Tavist Warnings and Precautions
Warnings and precautions to be aware of prior to taking Tavist include the following:
- Tavist can cause breathing problems in people with asthma or COPD, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. If you have asthma or COPD, check with your healthcare provider before taking Tavist.
- Make sure to check with your healthcare provider before taking Tavist if you have hyperthyroidism, any heart problems (including heart disease), or high blood pressure, as it is possible that Tavist could worsen these conditions.
- Tavist can cause blurred vision, dizziness, and drowsiness. Be sure to see how Tavist affects you before driving or operating heavy machinery.
- Tavist can worsen stomach ulcers, GERD, glaucoma, or an enlarged prostate. If you have one of these conditions, do not take Tavist without checking with your healthcare provider first.
- Elderly individuals may be more susceptible to the side effects of Tavist (and may also be more likely to be taking medications that interact with Tavist). If you are over 60 years old, it might be a good idea to check with your healthcare provider before taking Tavist. Tavist can worsen many conditions common in the elderly (such as an enlarged prostate or Alzheimer's disease).
- Tavist is considered a pregnancy Category B medication. This means that it probably will not cause problems if used during pregnancy, although the full risks are not currently known (see Tavist and Pregnancy).