If you take too much Tavist, it could lead to problems such as dry mouth, dilated pupils, flushing, and drowsiness. The specific effects of an overdose will vary from person to person, depending on how much of the medication was taken. Treatment may involve taking certain medicines, getting your stomach "pumped," or receiving supportive care.
Tavist® Allergy (clemastine fumarate) is an antihistamine medication used to treat allergies (such as hay fever) and the common cold. As with most medications, it is possible to take too much of this drug. The specific effects of a Tavist overdose can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Tavist dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have overdosed on Tavist.
A Tavist overdose may cause symptoms such as:
- Dry mouth
- Dilated pupils
- A rapid heart rate
- High blood pressure
- High or low body temperature
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
- Nausea and vomiting
- Loss of life.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." It is not usually recommended to induce vomiting for a Tavist overdose. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for this type of overdose may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to increase blood pressure, control an irregular heart rhythm, or control seizures
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Tavist.