Sinusitis (Sinus Infection) Home Remedies
Because most people with a sinus infection will get better within 7 to 10 days, simple home remedies can help relieve symptoms while the body fights the source of the infection. Home treatment focuses on reducing inflammation and providing comfort. Some examples of home remedies for sinusitis (sinus infection) include:
- Inhaling steam from a vaporizer, hot cup of water, shower, or bath, which can soothe inflamed sinus cavities
- Nasal irrigation with a saline solution or saline nasal spray, which you can buy in a drugstore
- Gentle heat applied over the inflamed area three or four times a day for 5 to 10 minutes
- Drinking plenty of fluids (try to avoid alcohol and caffeine)
- Using certain over-the-counter (OTC) medicines, such as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), ibuprofen, or decongestants.
(Click Sinusitis (Sinus Infection) Treatment to learn more about things you can do at home to minimize your sinusitis symptoms. This article also discusses what to do if your symptoms do not improve within 10 days.)