Neti Pot Instructions
Neti pots are small pots shaped much like a teapot or an Aladdin's lamp. They are used to flush out the nasal passages. Neti pots are frequently used to treat various nasal or sinus conditions, such as allergies, sinus infections, or the common cold.
In order to help prevent side effects, it is important to learn exactly how to use the neti pot. Here are some basic instructions:
- Obtain a neti pot and an appropriate saline solution (your neti pot will come with packets or instructions on how to make your own).
- Be sure to stand over a sink or bathtub.
- Relax -- this is a very important step.
- Keep your mouth open and breathe through your mouth; this helps keep the solution from going down your throat and reduces the drowning sensation.
- Tip your head slightly to the side and gently pour the solution into one nostril.
- Let the solution flow through your nasal and sinus passages and out the other nostril.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Remove any remaining solution by blowing the nose and/or performing various "exercises" to help dry out the nose.
- Make sure to clean the neti pot on a regular basis.
(Click How to Use a Neti Pot for more detailed instructions on using a neti pot and to learn about common usage problems with this product.)