An Introduction to Neo-Synephrine Side Effects
Just like any medicine, Neo-Synephrine®
or oxymetazoline nasal spray
) can cause side effects. However, not everyone who uses the medication will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Neo-Synephrine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Neo-Synephrine side effects with you.)
Possible Side Effects of Neo-Synephrine
Some of the reported bothersome (but not usually dangerous) side effects of decongestant nasal sprays like Neo-Synephrine include:
- Nasal dryness
- Temporary burning or stinging
- Worsening of congestion with prolonged use of the spray (see Neo-Synephrine Addiction).
Serious Neo-Synephrine Side Effects
Some side effects with oxymetazoline or phenylephrine (the active ingredient in Neo-Synephrine products), while occurring infrequently, are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- An unexplained rash or hives
- Itching (more than the usual itching related to allergies)
- Unexplained swelling, especially of the mouth, lips, or throat
- Wheezing or difficulty breathing.