Cold Home > Zyvox Uses
Zyvox is often prescribed for the treatment of pneumonia, skin infections, and certain other bacterial infections. It works by binding to part of the bacterial ribosome and preventing it from making protein, a substance it needs in order to multiply. Zyvox is particularly useful in situations where the infection is caused by gram-positive bacteria, but is ineffective for the common cold or other viral illnesses.
What Is Zyvox Used For?Zyvox® (linezolid) is an antibiotic licensed to treat a variety of serious infections. This medication comes in tablet, oral liquid suspension, and intravenous (IV) injectable forms. Specifically, Zyvox is used to treat the following infections:
- Certain pneumonia infections
- Certain skin and soft tissue infections
- Infections caused by the bacteria Enterococcus faecium when the bacteria are resistant to the antibiotic vancomycin (Vancocin®).
Using Zyvox for PneumoniaHealthcare providers separate pneumonia into types based on where the infection occurred. These types include community-acquired and hospital-acquired pneumonia (click Types of Pneumonia).
- Staphylococcus aureus, including methicillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA)
- Streptococcus pneumoniae, including multidrug resistant S. pneumoniae (MDRSP).