Cold Home > How to Use a Neti Pot
It is important to learn exactly how the neti pot is used, as proper technique can minimize side effects and discomfort. Using the pot, a saline solution is poured into one nostril and comes out the other. Using an inappropriate irrigation liquid can cause discomfort and irritation; isotonic saline (0.9%) is probably the least irritating and is most similar to the body's natural fluids.
- Obtain a neti pot and an appropriate saline solution (your neti pot will come with packets or instruction on how to make your own).
- Be sure to stand over a sink or bathtub.
- Relax -- this is a very important step.
- Keep your mouth open and breathe through your mouth; this helps keep the solution from going down your throat and reduces the drowning sensation.
- Tip your head slightly to the side and gently pour the solution into one nostril.
- Let the solution flow through your nasal and sinus passages and out the other nostril.
- Repeat with the other side.
- Remove any remaining solution by blowing the nose and/or performing various "exercises" to help dry out the nose.
- Make sure to clean the neti pot on a regular basis.