When and How to Take GuaifenesinGeneral considerations to keep in mind during treatment with guaifenesin include the following:
- This medication comes in different forms, such as tablets, long-acting tablets, capsules, and syrup. It is taken by mouth every 4 to 12 hours, depending on the particular product.
- You can take guaifenesin with food or on an empty stomach. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with a little food.
- Because several different guaifenesin products are available, be sure to follow the instructions for your particular product.
- Extended-release guaifenesin tablets (Mucinex) must be swallowed whole. Do not break or crush them.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water or other fluids while taking this medicine.
- For this drug to work properly, it must be taken as directed.
Dosing InformationThe recommended dose of guaifenesin will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular product
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- How you respond to guaifenesin
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Guaifenesin Dosage for more information.)
Drug InteractionsGuaifenesin is unlikely to interact with other medications (see Drug Interactions With Guaifenesin).