Side Effects of Gemifloxacin
Common Side EffectsGemifloxacin has been studied extensively in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking gemifloxacin were documented and then compared to the side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking a different antibiotic.
In these studies, the most commonly reported gemifloxacin side effects included:
- Diarrhea -- in up to 5 percent of people
- Headaches -- up to 4.2 percent
- Nausea -- up to 3.7 percent
- Rash -- up to 3.5 percent
- Abdominal (stomach) pain -- up to 2.2 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 1.7 percent
- Vomiting -- up to 1.6 percent.
Other Uncommon Side Effects of GemifloxacinOther uncommon side effects, occurring in less than 1 percent of people, were also reported in clinical studies. Given how uncommon they are, it can be difficult to tell whether these side effects are actually caused by the medication itself or by something else.
Some of these rare but possible side effects include:
- Abdominal (stomach) pain
- Lack of energy and weakness
- General feelings of discomfort
- Sensitivity to sunlight
- A slow heart rate (bradycardia)
- Decreased appetite
- Dry mouth
- Feeling thirsty
- Dry skin
- Double vision or other vision changes
- Changes in taste
- Painful menstruation.
Final ThoughtsYou may experience some or none of the gemifloxacin side effects listed in this article. Unfortunately, there is no way for your healthcare provider to know beforehand if you will have problems with a medicine that you have never tried.
Therefore, make sure to let your healthcare provider know if you develop any side effects while taking this medication or if something "just does not seem right." While it may not be related to the medication, your healthcare provider will be able to diagnose and treat the problem.