Dextromethorphan Overdose Treatment

If you are taking dextromethorphan, make sure to follow the specific dosing instructions carefully. It is possible to take too much of this medication. Seek immediate medical attention if you develop any signs of an overdose, such as vomiting, blurred vision, or seizures.
 
Treatment for an overdose on dextromethorphan will depend on when the medication was taken. If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may administer activated charcoal or "pump the stomach" to help reduce the amount of the medication that is absorbed into the bloodstream. In some cases, an antidote may be available.
 
Other treatment options include supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive care for an overdose on dextromethorphan may include using a sedative or seizure medications.
 
(For a more complete list of treatment options, click Dextromethorphan Overdose. This eMedTV article provides an in-depth look at the possible effects of an overdose and ways to treat them.)
5 Tips to Keep a Cold at Bay
Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.