If you take too much Delsym (dextromethorphan polistirex), symptoms could include vomiting, seizures, or irregular breathing. Your treatment options will depend on when the overdose was taken. For example, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or give activated charcoal for a recent overdose of Delsym. Supportive care will also be used to treat any symptoms that occur.
Can You Take Too Much Delsym?Delsym® (dextromethorphan polistirex) is a nonprescription cough medication. Like almost all other medications, it is possible to take too much Delsym.
The specific effects of a Delsym overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Delsym dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an OverdoseSigns and symptoms of a Delsym overdose may include but are not limited to:
- Nausea and vomiting
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Involuntary eye movements
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Psychotic behavior or thinking
- Lack of muscle coordination
- Abnormal muscle movements or contractions.
Serious problems are most likely to occur with massive overdoses.
Treatment for a Delsym Overdose
If the overdose with Delsym was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" and use activated charcoal treatment to help absorb the medication. Vomiting should generally not be induced.
Treatment will also involve supportive care, which consists of carefully monitoring the person for any possible problems and treating any complications that occur. For instance, medications may be used to control any seizures that occur.
There is some evidence that naloxone (an antidote used for opioid overdose) may be useful for treating a Delsym overdose.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Delsym.