If you are using Delsym to suppress a cough, the dose will depend mainly on age. If you are over 12 years old, the typical Delsym dosage is 10 mL every 12 hours. Do not continue to use this cough suppressant if your cough lasts more than seven days; goes away and comes back; or occurs with a fever, rash, or persistent headache.
An Introduction to Dosing With DelsymThe recommended dose of Delsym® (dextromethorphan polistirex) varies, depending mostly upon age. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Delsym Dosage for a CoughDelsym may be taken every 12 hours (twice a day). As mentioned, the recommended dose varies depending on age, as follows:
- Under age 4 -- do not use
- 4 to 6 years old -- 2.5 mL every 12 hours
- 6 to 12 years old -- 5 mL every 12 hours
- 12 years old and older -- 10 mL every 12 hours.
For the purposes of comparing Delsym, which contains dextromethorphan polistirex, to other dextromethorphan products, each 5 mL of Delsym contains the equivalent of 30 mg of dextromethorphan hydrobromide.
You should stop using Delsym and contact your healthcare provider if your cough lasts more than seven days; goes away and comes back; or occurs with a fever, rash, or persistent headache.
There are no differences between the children's Delsym products and the regular Delsym products. They contain the exact same medication in the exact same amount. Adults may use the children's product, and children may use the regular product.
General Information on Taking DelsymSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Delsym include the following:
- Delsym comes in orange- or grape-flavored liquid. It is usually taken by mouth every 12 hours.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Make sure to shake the bottle well before each dose.
- Kitchen spoons are not accurate enough for measuring medications. Use the dosage cup provided to measure an accurate Delsym dose.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Delsym dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider, nurse, or pharmacist.