General considerations for those taking chlorpheniramine include the following:
- This medication comes in different forms (tablets, capsules, or liquid). It is taken by mouth every 4 to 12 hours, depending on the particular product.
- You can take chlorpheniramine with food or on an empty stomach. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with a little food.
- Because several different chlorpheniramine products are available, be sure to follow the dosing instructions for your particular product.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as directed.
The recommended dose of chlorpheniramine will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular product
- The medical condition being treated
- Your age
- How you respond to chlorpheniramine
- Other medications you are taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Chlorpheniramine Dosage for more information.)
Chlorpheniramine can potentially interact with several other medicines (see Drug Interactions With Chlorpheniramine).
An overdose with chlorpheniramine can cause serious problems. If you happen to take too much of this medication, seek immediate medical attention.
(Click Chlorpheniramine Overdose for more information.)