If you take too much chlorpheniramine, overdose symptoms could occur. These symptoms may include nausea and vomiting, rapid breathing, dilated pupils, and fever. If the overdose was recent, your healthcare provider may "pump your stomach" or give you certain medications. Treatment for an overdose may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur because of the overdose.
Can You Take Too Much Chlorpheniramine?Chlorpheniramine is a commonly used antihistamine, often used for treating allergies. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much chlorpheniramine. The specific effects of an overdose with chlorpheniramine can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Effects of an Overdose of Chlorpheniramine
A chlorpheniramine overdose may cause the following symptoms:
- Dry mouth, eyes, nose, and throat
- A rapid heart rate
- Nausea and vomiting
- Rapid breathing
- Dilated pupils
- Slowing of the digestive tract
- Low blood pressure
- An irregular heart rhythm
- Loss of life.
Treatment for a Chlorpheniramine Overdose
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may give certain medicines or place a tube into the stomach to "pump the stomach." It is not usually recommended to induce vomiting for a chlorpheniramine overdose. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options may include:
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Medicines to increase blood pressure, control an irregular heart rhythm, or control seizures
- Close monitoring of the heart and lungs
- A breathing tube to help with breathing
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have taken too much chlorpheniramine.