What Are Tessalon Perles?Tessalon Perles is the brand name given to the 100-mg strength of benzonatate liquid-filled gel capsules. They are distinctive for their spherical shape, which makes them easy to lose, since they roll off countertops easily. The 200-mg strength is not spherical. Generic versions of either strength may or may not be spherical, depending on the particular manufacturer.
How Does Benzonatate Work?Benzonatate works directly at the lungs and respiratory passages. It probably works as an anesthetic, essentially numbing certain receptors (known as "stretch" receptors) in the lungs and respiratory passages.
When and How Do I Take It?Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with benzonatate include the following:
- Benzonatate comes in liquid-filled gel capsules. It is usually taken by mouth, up to three times daily.
- You can take this medicine with or without food.
- Make sure to swallow this medication whole; never chew or suck the capsules. Doing so could cause serious reactions.
- For benzonatate to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Dosing Information for BenzonatateThe dose that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Benzonatate Dosage to learn more.)
Benzonatate is unlikely to interact with other medications (see Drug Interactions With Benzonatate).