Certain factors will affect the amount of benzonatate your healthcare provider prescribes, including how you respond to it and whether you have any other medical conditions. In most cases, the recommended dosage of benzonatate is 100 to 200 mg, up to three times a day as needed. Benzonatate must be swallowed whole -- chewing or sucking the capsules could lead to serious reactions.
An Introduction to Dosing With BenzonatateThe dose of benzonatate (Tessalon®) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to the medication
- Any other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Benzonatate Dosage for Coughs
The standard dosage of benzonatate in adults and children age 10 and older for suppressing a cough is 100 or 200 mg, up to three times daily as necessary. The maximum total dose per day is 600 mg.
Never give benzonatate to a child (or even an adult) who cannot swallow capsules, as the medication must be swallowed whole. It should never be chewed or sucked.
General Information on Taking BenzonatateSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with benzonatate include the following:
- Benzonatate comes in liquid-filled gel capsules. It is usually taken by mouth three times daily.
- You can take this medication with or without food.
- Make sure to swallow the capsules whole; never chew or suck them. Doing so could cause serious reactions.
- For this product to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or benzonatate dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.