When and How Do I Take It?Considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Augmentin XR include the following:
- The medication comes as a tablet that is usually taken twice daily.
- Augmentin XR should be taken at the start of a meal, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this medication. However, it should be taken at the same times each day, with about 12 hours between doses, to maintain an even level in your system.
- Augmentin XR tablets can be broken in half along the score line to aid in swallowing, if necessary, since the tablets are quite large. However, you should not chew, crush, or dissolve the tablets, as this will interfere with the extended-release properties of the drug.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
Dosing InformationThere is only one standard recommended dosage for Augmentin XR, although the length of time the drug is taken varies, depending on the particular condition being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
(Click Augmentin XR Dosage for more information.)
Side Effects of Augmentin XRAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Augmentin XR. However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience problems. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
Possible side effects of this drug include but are not limited to:
(Click Augmentin XR Side Effects to learn more, including potentially serious side effects you should report to your healthcare provider.)