Augmentin XR Dosage
When taking Augmentin XR, there is only one standard recommended dosage. In most cases, Augmentin XR is taken twice a day, regardless of your age or weight. The length of time you will need to take this antibiotic will vary, however, based on the condition being treated. Do not chew, crush, or dissolve the tablets, as this will interfere with the extended-release properties of the drug.
An Introduction to Dosing With Augmentin XRThere is only one standard dose for Augmentin XR® (amoxicillin/clavulanate potassium XR), regardless of your age or weight, although the exact length of time the drug is used varies, depending on the type of infection being treated. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Augmentin XR Dosages for Pneumonia and Sinus InfectionsThe recommended dosage of Augmentin XR is two tablets (a total of 2000 mg of amoxicillin and 125 mg of clavulanic acid) every 12 hours. For sinus infections, the medication is usually taken for 10 days. For pneumonia, it is typically taken for 7 to 10 days.
Augmentin XR is approved for use in adults as well as in children age seven years and older (who weigh at least 88 pounds). The dosage for children is the same as the adult dosage.
General Information on Taking Augmentin XRSome considerations to keep in mind during treatment with Augmentin XR include the following:
- The medication comes as a tablet that is usually taken twice daily.
- Your Augmentin XR dosage should be taken at the start of a meal, as food increases the absorption of this antibiotic.
- It does not matter what times of day you take this medication. However, it should be taken at the same times each day, with about 12 hours between doses, to maintain an even level in your system.
- Augmentin XR tablets can be broken in half along the score line to aid in swallowing, if necessary, since the tablets are quite large. However, you should not chew, crush, or dissolve the tablets, as this will interfere with the extended-release properties of the drug.
- For the drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work adequately if you stop taking it too soon.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or Augmentin XR dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.