Afrin Overdose

Taking too much Afrin could cause potentially serious problems. Some symptoms of an overdose may include vomiting, seizures, and coma. An overdose with Afrin may be more likely to cause serious problems if it was taken by mouth, which might happen accidentally with a young child or pet, rather than used as a nasal spray. Treatment options will involve supportive care.

Is It Possible to Take Too Much Afrin?

Afrin® (oxymetazoline nasal spray) is a non-prescription nasal spray approved to treat nasal congestion due to various causes, such as allergies or the common cold. It is a decongestant medication. In some cases, taking too much Afrin could cause serious problems.
  

Effects of an Overdose With Afrin

An Afrin overdose may cause symptoms such as:
 
An overdose may be more likely to cause serious problems if it was taken by mouth, which might happen accidentally with a young child or pet, rather than used as a nasal spray.
 

Treating an Afrin Overdose

Even if the overdose with Afrin was taken by mouth, it is not usually recommended to induce vomiting or pump the stomach, as the medication is absorbed too quickly. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) likely will include supportive care, which consists of treating any of the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, medications may be given to increase the heart rate and blood pressure, if necessary.
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Afrin.
 
5 Tips to Keep a Cold at Bay

Afrin Nasal Spray

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2017 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.