The Afrin dosage for treating nasal congestion in adults and children (age six and older) is two or three sprays in each nostril twice daily. It is important to not use Afrin more than twice in any 24-hour period, and you should not use this nasal spray for more than three days in a row. Afrin comes in a spray bottle or a pump mist bottle.
Dosage of Afrin: An IntroductionThere is only one standard recommended dose of Afrin® (oxymetazoline nasal spray), regardless of your age or the severity of your nasal congestion. As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Afrin Dosing for Nasal CongestionThe recommended dosage for all Afrin products for treating nasal congestion in adults and children age six and older is two or three sprays in each nostril twice a day (about every 10 to 12 hours). Do not use Afrin more than twice in any 24-hour period.
Do not use Afrin for more than three days in a row, as a worsening of congestion may occur (see Afrin Addiction).
General Information on Your Afrin DoseSome considerations for people taking Afrin include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a nasal spray. It is sprayed into each nostril twice daily.
- Afrin products come in a spray bottle or a pump mist bottle. Some people may prefer one over the other for various reasons.
- The pump mist products should be shaken well before each use.
- The pump mist products need to be primed by depressing the pump several times before the first use. The spray bottle products do not need to be primed.
- Do not tip your head when using Afrin products.
- In order to prevent spreading infections, do not share the nasal spray with other people.
- For Afrin to work properly, it must be taken as directed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Afrin dosage, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.